What are the KIRAs? (Knowledge and Innovation Recognition Awards)
The KIRAs celebrates excellence in technological, social and economic innovation across all sectors and industries in New Brunswick. The awards recognise companies, organizations, and individuals in New Brunswick for their role in the development and / or application of innovative products, processes, services, technologies, or business models. KIRA seeks to encourage and foster a culture of knowledge and innovation in New Brunswick. Created in 1998 as a means to recognize the knowledge industry in Fredericton, the event has broadened its scope to showcase and honour innovation in all sectors and industries across New Brunswick.
How do we define innovation?
Innovation is defined as the “implementation of a new or significantly improved product (good or service), or process, a new marketing method, or a new organizational method in business practices, workplace organization or external relations” (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Ministerial report on the OECD Innovation Strategy) – this is the definition being used in the provincial innovation strategy doc
How is KIRA provincial in scope?
- - KIRA recognises innovation happens everywhere in our province, helping to build a New Brunswick ecosystem that supports access to ideas, people and capital.
- - KIRA’s reach is provincial – from its nominees and awards winners, sponsors and event attendees, financial support from the Province of New Brunswick and its place in the provincial Innovation Week.
- - KIRA aligns itself with the provincial and federal Innovation strategies and supports the ideas and objectives outlined by the under the Innovation pillar of the federal and provincial economic growth strategies.
KIRA first began as an idea in the winter of 1998 as a way of acknowledging the Knowledge Industry in Fredericton. KIRA stood for “Knowledge Industry Recognition and Achievement” Awards and was hosted by Enterprise Fredericton and the Knowledge Industry Task Force (KITF). For the first three years, it was a Fredericton area event. Support for the event was overwhelming – the organizing committee was able to secure enough sponsorship and in-kind contributions to make the event a success. The event was sold out each year.
Nominations close March 17th - please visit the website for further details and to apply!
The KIRA Awards is completely led by industry volunteers using ticket sales and sponsorship to cover the costs of the event.
Tickets for the KIRA gala are $140 per person (+HST) or $1,120 per table of 8 (+HST).
For ticket information please call 855-682-KIRA(5472) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, May 4th, Fredericton Convention Centre
- 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm: Stand Up Dinner Reception
- 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm: Gala Awards
- 10:00 pm – midnight: Post Event Party at Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel