On April 9th, 2018, the Department of National Defence (DND) launched the Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) program. This new $1.6 billion innovation support program will transform the way DND generates solutions to complex problems. Through IDEaS, over the next 20 years DND funding will support:
- Creating clusters of defence innovators to conduct leading-edge research and development in areas critical to future defence needs. These clusters will bring together academics, industry and other partners to form collaborative innovation networks;
- Holding competitions that invite innovators to present viable solutions to specific defence and security challenges; and
- Implementing flexible new procurement mechanisms that allow Defence to develop and test ideas and the ability to follow through on the most promising ones with procurement.
The IDEaS program will present many diverse challenges throughout the year on behalf of DND and all of its security partners (e.g. Public Safety, RCMP, Canada Border Services Agency, etc), and will be open to individuals, companies of all sizes, academia, and others to solve.
The Second Call for Proposals (CFP) under the Competitive Projects, has been launched on October 18, 2018, which includes 9 new defence and security challenges as follows;
Protecting our Forces
- Detection of concealed explosives.
- Respiratory protection for DND/CAF members with facial hair.
Putting Our People First
3. An integrated human resources data management solution.
4. Alternative recruitment models.
5. Verification of full motion video integrity.
6. Persistent maritime surface sensor system.
Building Cyber Capability
7. Understanding cyber intent.
8. Detecting and responding to hostile information activities.
Operating in Austere Environments
9. Full spectrum communications in the Arctic.
Interested parties must submit their proposed solutions for this CFP by November 27, 2018. For full details of this official Call for Proposals, please click here.